Saturday, January 23, 2016

Shulbert Williams

SECOND CHANCE FOR JUVENILE OFFENDERS


Shulbert Williams 258920
Columbia Correctional Institution
P.O. Box 900
Portage, Wi. 53901

My name is Shulbert Williams. I am an inmate currently incarcerate at Columbia Correctional Institution. I was arrested approximately one month after my 18th birthday and convicted of four counts of armed robbery. I was sentenced to server 100 years in prison with a parole eligibility date of 2020.

Before my arrest I was an impressionable child with no education nor any sense of direction. I never completed the 9th grade and upon entering prison my test scores showed that I had a 7th grade reading level and a 5th grade math level. I am now 32 years old, I have served 14 years and 3 months in prison. This has been a tough school to learn in, if I may call it that. However, I’ve managed to make a man out of myself by taking advantage of the opportunities and programs that are available. I have successfully complete anger management, restorative justice, I have received my HSED and earned top honors upon completing a vocational trade from MATC. I have also earned a slew of certificates of completion from several voluntary programs.

Prison has sincerely humbled me and given me a new perspective on which to view life. I value everything that I’ve achieved while being incarcerated because it wasn’t easy. It was hard work, something I can now appreciate because the hard work is what gives a person balance. I feel I deserve a second chance at freedon to show, not only those who have stood by me and believed in me all these years, but to also show the naysayers and non believers that the system does work and rehabilitation is real. At last, I am ready tobe the father to my daughter that I was meant to be.



Sincerely,

Shulbert Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment